Food is essential to life. It is the source of vital energy for good metabolism needed for maintaining an overall health and well-being. It is especially important for kids to understand the composition of the most staple food snack, the bread, and how it gives supplementary nutrition needed by grade school children to complete their everyday tasks in class. The study is inspired to tackle efficiency on two categories: lessening agricultural wastage and highlighting food bio preservation through the production of nutritious breads and cookies. The chili (Capsicum annuum) is a common spice crop planted in the Philippines. In its harvest process, the fruits and stems are collected having the chili leaves discarded. However, according to the Compound Interest Publishing Journal of Nutrition and Food Sciences, any species of chili leaves contain low concentrations of capsaicinoids essential to prevent the reproduction of fungi spores, commonly referred to as bread molds. On the other hand, bio preservation is an approach to food technology that is defined as the extension of shelf life and food safety by the use of natural or naturally occurring anti-microbial compounds. This process of food conservation prevents the development of undesirable microbes that result to spoilage. According to Abligos, 2012 of Philippine Rice Research Institute, “Nutritional calculation in terms of percent daily values (DV) showed that chili pepper leaves in its fresh and powdered forms is significant source of micronutrients that could satisfy one's requirement for optimal health and nutrition. Chili pepper leaves can be used as component of the food based approach to reduce public health problems in the Philippines.” Chili contains an impressive list of plant-derived compounds known to have disease preventing and health promoting properties. It is very timely this study was conducted to produce LyChi, a combination of natural lye and chili extracts as an additive that is guaranteed to extend the shelf life of breads and inhibit aflatoxins, cancer-causing substances formed by industrialized commercial processing of bread flour. It is believed that through this, we can be more confident in producing less expensive using readily available ingredient and eating healthier breads - the ingredients being all-natural, without having risks of getting cancer from aflatoxin exposure. The study is very significant as it forefronts food technology on the safety and wellbeing of not just grade school kids but as well as all Filipino consumers. It utilizes agricultural waste, one that has significant impact on our country’s economy and agri-carbon footprint that affects climate change. By using LyChi as natural additive on bio preservation, it opens the possibility of commercial volume production of bread and cookies and effectively raises awareness on the importance of backyard gardening and home-made delicacies especially in these pandemic times. There are four set-ups in which the study is anchored. The first set up consists of 100% pure lye (10mL), 50% Pure chili leaves extract and 50% pure lye (25ml chili leaves extract and pure lye), 75% pure lye and 25% chili leaves extract (35mL pure lye and 15mL chili leaves extract), 75% chili leaves extract and 25% pure lye (35 mL chili leaves extract and 15mL pure lye) and 100% chili leaves extract (10mL chili leaves extract). After mixing all the ingredients, the dough was baked for 25 minutes. Based from the results of the study, chili leaves extract can be an effective inhibitor of bread molds. The solution of 25% chili leaves extract and 75% pure lye revealed to be the most effective concentration. It is limited to the utilization of unrefined chili leaves extract as additive lye solution. The conditions to which the effectivity is tested is on the basis of usual loaf bread storage: inside the refrigerator, room temperature with food cover, plastic wrapped at room temperature. The comparative identification of bread molds and evaluation of shelf life was tested against one commercial brand of loaf bread and cookies only.
LyChi: The Utilization of Chili Leaves Extract as Molds’ Growth Inhibitor
The aims of this study is to lessen agricultural wastage and highlights food bio-preservation through the production of nutritious yet affordable bread and cookies using chili leaves extract as an alternative lye solution. There are four set-ups in which the study is anchored. The first set up consists of 100% Pure Lye (10mL), 50% Pure chili leaves extract and 50% pure lye (25ml chili leaves extract and pure lye), 75% pure lye and 25% chili leaves extract (35mL pure lye and 15mL chili leaves extract), 75% chili leaves extract and 25% pure lye (35 mL chili leaves extract and 15mL pure lye) and 100% Chili leaves extract (10mL chili leaves extract). After mixing all the ingredients, the dough was baked for 25 minutes. Based from the results of the study, chili leaves extract can be an effective inhibitor of bread molds. The solution of 25% chili leaves extract and 75% pure lye revealed to be the most effective concentration. Among all other concentrations (50% chili leaves extract and 50% pure lye, 75% chili leaves extract and 25% pure lye, 100% pure lye, 100% pure chili leaves extract), it was observed that reduction in mold formation can be possible by controlling moisture and temperature. Loaf bread and cookies with chili leaves extract has stimulating taste than commercialized bread that fascinates bread lovers. Bread production could be less expensive using readily available and natural ingredients packed with nutrients. It has a natural lye additive guaranteed to extend shelf life of loaf breads and cookies; contains an impressive list of plant derived compounds known to have disease-preventing (has antibacterial, anti-carcinogenic, analgesic and anti-diabetic properties; reduces LDL cholesterol) and health promoting properties (vitamins, minerals, electrolytes and phyto-nutrients). It is a significant source of micronutirents that could satisfy one’s requirement for optimal health and nutrition.